Cher Ami, Who Knew? Really...

>> Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Who knew that pigeons are capable of flying with speeds up to 59 mph? It's true. Pigeons are able to fly crazy long distances...flights as long as 1800 km have been recorded during pigeon racing. You may be asking yourself what the f* is pigeon racing? Apparentley it kind of sort of is a big deal, or used to be in Europe. What I don't understand is how birds are used as a means of sending information. I get that pigeons have an innate homing ability but it blows my mind. I previously only imagined that air mail consisting of birds existed in the magical world of Harry Potter. It looks like we Muggles aren't so different after all.

A little known fact is that one pigeon has been awarded the Croix de Guerre or War Cross. In my opinion Cher Ami is probably the most badass bird in the history of pigeons. If you can dip, dodge, dive and duck flying bullets, still get shot through the breast, be blinded, have your leg hanging by a tendon and still fly 25 miles in 25 minutes that, ladies and gentlemen, is impressive.

So how did this post come about? I was for searching t-shirt designs and I came across a fun one. On it were drawings and phrases about birds. One said that pigeons can fly 100 mph. I thought no way that is possible, so I googled it leading me to Wikipedia. Idk, maybe pigeons really can fly that fast and I didn't find it. If this interested you at all, check out this link to wikipedia and scroll the pics. Other islands and continents have cooler pigeons. Sorry for the poor play on words there.

0 comments:

About This Blog

This blog is a collection of my everyday thoughts, feelings and actions. I view it as a release of what it going on in my life and an opportunity to share it with everyone. I try to be creative with what I post, but it often involves lots of short posts and photographs. I am not quite sure I have the same humor and interests as all of my viewers but I hope that it catches your attention nonetheless. Without further ado, Open Your Heart and Catch My Disease! Enjoy my piece of the blogging world!

Lorem Ipsum

My Tunes

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP